1) make a stock solution of colchicine:
500mg colchicine powder (95% pure) plus
37 ml Kinetin solution (10 ml has 1mg in distilled water)
This can be stored at least 6 months in a refrigerator
2) On day of use, take 10 ml of your stock solution and add 10 drops of DMSO (99.7%. strong solvent)
3)You will be using 4 drops of this solution into the cut crown
(webmaster note: since there are about 20 drops per ml. this recipe should be able to do over 150 treatments)
The healthy plants must be potted using a well draining potting mixture containing a liberal amount of coarse perlite. It should be in the pot a minimum of two weeks or more before the conversion and it should be watered frequently, especially the evening before – – – but not watered the day of the procedure. The plant should have a crown diameter of 3/8” to 1/2” minimum (the bigger the better) with each plant having more than one fan attached (mini clump) being desirable, but not necessary. A week before conversion, the top soil should be removed exposing all of the crown with just minimal soil covering the top roots. As well, the soil from the crown to the side of the pot should be sloped downward towards the side of the plastic pot with the highest point being at the crown area; however, all roots need to be covered with soil.
1) Cut off rim of pot to just above soil level for easier access to plant
2) Measure 3/8″ up from crown and use a straight razor to cut off one fan. (Make a flat horizontal cut like a table). Leave one fan intact if possible, it can be removed or converted after the treated fan grows about 4″, and it provides nourishment to the treated plant till it recovers.
3) Using a Speedball type linoleum cutter( the blade has a c-shaped cross-section so it can scoop tissue), cut out the center of the daylily down to where the tissue feels harder and is a different color, about 5/16″ down. (see photos)
4) Use edge of paper towel to draw out any liquid that seeps out
5) Instill 4 drops of the prepared solution (see chemicals above) into cavity.
6) Keep plant in shady area protected from rain for 7 days. On second day, wick off any more liquid on cut surface of plant with paper towel again, but do not dry center cavity. Repeat 1-2 times daily as needed. If soil gets dry, water just the soil carefully, covering the crown with a paper cup while watering.
7) Return to full sun after a few weeks when freely growing.